Venezuelan-born Elsa Elena Escobar loves to share her lifestyle through the mouth watering recipes she makes. In 2018, she shared her recipe with us for mochachino almond Christmas log cookies, which transpire to be gluten-no cost.
Mochachino almond Xmas log
Would make 24 cookies
For the cookie:
3½ cups almond flour or almond meal
1 cup granulated white sugar
3 big egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon prompt espresso powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon boiling drinking water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon Khalua, eggnog or any liquor you like. (Can substitute it for 1 tablespoon of any fruit jam or jelly of your preference)
For the decoration:
1 egg white, somewhat overwhelmed with a fork
Pinch of salt
1½ cups sliced almonds, placed in a pie plate
Pink candied cherries, minimize in half
Green candied cherries, slash in fourths
Powdered sugar for dusting the cookies following baking
1. For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 325 levels. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a smaller bowl, dissolve the prompt espresso powder and the cocoa powder with the tablespoon of boiling h2o. Include the almond extract and the liquor, if using, to the mixture.
3. Blend the almond flour and ½ cup of the sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a massive mixing bowl, applying an electrical mixer, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt right until smooth peaks are shaped. Add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and continue to keep beating for 1 minute. Incorporate the espresso and cocoa combination.
5. Incorporate the flour and sugar mixture to the egg white combination and fold cautiously until well put together and a sticky dough is fashioned.
6. Divide the dough into 24 balls. Roll each ball into a log and area on geared up baking sheet 2 inches apart. You will have 24 logs on the baking sheets. (To roll the balls far more effortlessly, damp your fingers with a bit of water, when necessary).
7. For decoration: Just take every log from the baking sheet, roll into the egg white mixture 1st and then roll into the sliced almonds. Location the logs back on the baking sheet and decorate them with the pink and environmentally friendly candied cherries. Push the fifty percent purple candied cherry in the heart of the log and the quarter green cherries at the sides, resembling a Xmas flower.
8. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes or until finally frivolously agency. If you favor a crispier cookie, leave in the oven for 1 or 2 minutes extra.
9. Allow interesting 10 minutes on the baking sheets. Transfer them to a wire rack to amazing completely. Dust the cookies with the powdered sugar.
Notice: These cookies can be piped as well. Use a pastry bag with a substantial star suggestion, these kinds of as the Ateco 827. The logs will be a bit a lot more sensible because of to the texture of the suggestion marks.
Can be stored in an airtight container for two or far more months at area temperature. They freeze incredibly well for 2 to 3 months.