Williamsburg is having added tropical this summertime!
Celebrated Jamaican-born chef Andre Fowles is partnering with Kings County Imperial (20 Skillman Ave.) chefs Josh Grinker and Tracy Younger for a special, restricted-time Jamaican and Chinese collaborative menu. Fowles, a three-time Food Community “Chopped” Winner and the Culinary Director of Manhattan’s Overlook Lily’s, is bringing his unique Caribbean approach and design and style to Kings County Imperial’s beloved Chinese, current market-pushed menu in Williamsburg.
“There are so quite a few Chinese influences in Jamaican cooking, so the flavors are common to me. I grew up consuming Chinese food items in Jamaica made with neighborhood substances from the island,” claims Fowles. “The to start with time I tried out Kings County Imperial, I was hooked! The boldness and the spice strike dwelling for me. Combining scotch bonnet peppers and pimento with Sichuan peppers and chili oil just screams deliciousness.”
The summertime Jamaican x Chinese menu, unique to Kings County Imperial’s Williamsburg area features:
- Callaloo Vegetable Potstickers with sesame chili sauce
- Chinese Beef Patties with five spice beef filling and flaky pastry
- Curry Shrimp White Cloud Dumplings with spicy Chinese mustard
- Coconut Shrimp Toast with lime chili dipping sauce
- Jerk Pan Hen & Corn with Andre’s residence-designed incredibly hot sauce and papaya chutney
- Fried Complete Fish with escovitch pickle, Sichuan sauce
- Scorching Peppa Lobster Lo Mein with scotch bonnet scallion pesto
- Tamarind Hanging Pork Ribs with pork cracklings
- Jamaican Oxtail Stew with butter beans, crispy shallots, spinner dumplings
“Andre and I met at Kings County Imperial and straight away bonded in excess of our mutual realization that the two Chinese and Jamaican delicacies share so several similarities in terms of spice and depth of taste,” suggests Grinker. “I’ve also been rather obsessed with the Afro-Caribbean flavors of the West Indies, notably Jamaica. As a kid I’d trip my ten-velocity to Christie’s on Flatbush to get a beef patty and coco bread, and as an adult my travels lead me to the roadside jerk grills around Saint Ann’s Bay that truly informed my cooking. I’m thrilled to operate together with Andre for this collaboration.”
The Jamaican x Chinese menu at Kings County Imperial is readily available every day, from 5:30pm -10pm for in-cafe (outside the house or inside, for a confined time. Reservations are not essential but can be booked as a result of Resy.