Getty / Daniel Mazilu / 500px
Pineapples usually feel like one thing of a secret. That spiky forbidding exterior, myriad myths about how to ascertain ripeness, the complexity of prepping it for feeding on with no damage to self or fruit. But there is just nothing like the heady, floral depth of a good pineapple to maintain us coming back again. A single of my favorite desserts that characteristics pineapple is a traditional upside-down cake. These rings of fruit, caramelized and supple however however juicy and refreshing, they are a deep satisfaction. This kind of a deep satisfaction I wondered if I could mimic it without the need of all the cake enterprise. Turns out, you can.
Relevant—How to Improve a Pineapple From a Pineapple
My new discovery: roasted pineapple!
Here’s the matter: By forgetting the cake component, and just by roasting pineapples total with a little bit of sugar, you get all the amazing texture and flavor benefits, but you also conclude up with a dessert that is more simple and lighter. Even further, this strategy is a wonderful way to salvage a pineapple that is marginally underripe, or to amplify the sweetness of a excellent 1. And you can make various of them at once, so it is a pleasurable dessert selection for a group.
When you have a roasted pineapple you can uncover all kinds of strategies to provide it:
Maintain it very simple with a couple slices and garnish with toasted slivered almonds or flakes of coconut
Provide together with a scoop of mango sorbet or coconut ice cream
Produce a extravagant layered dessert with crumbled pound cake and vanilla custard
Similar—21 Tantalizing Recipes That Start out With Canned Pineapple
How to roast pineapple
For starters, decide on your full pineapple. At the grocery store, glimpse for fruits that truly feel significant for their size and are much more yellow than eco-friendly, and odor fragrantly sweet on the bottom. If they smell at all like booze, they are previous their key.
To prep, slice of the best and bottom of the pineapple and set it upright on your reducing board. Reduce the peel off in large strips from top to bottom. If you have missed any “eyes,” go again and take away them with the idea of a paring knife, as they are unpleasantly challenging to consume. Pat dry on the outside with lint-absolutely free paper towels.
This is all you do:
1. Heat your oven to 350° and get a huge, oven-risk-free, nonstick skillet out.
2. For every single pineapple you will need 1 tablespoon of mild brown sugar and ½ tablespoon of neutral oil (I usually use both avocado oil or coconut oil for this).
3. Warmth the oil in the pan and include the pineapple. You can ordinarily get two whole pineapples in a pan, and I come across it is generally well worth making them two at a time. Turn the pineapple each and every couple of minutes to get a good caramelization all in excess of.
4. After the pineapple is a bit browned, sprinkle the sugar above them, and give one extra total turn to coat. Then transfer to your oven and roast right until scorching all the way as a result of and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
5. Clear away from the oven, transfer to a shallow baking dish and pour the caramel over. Allow rest 5-10 minutes just before serving if you are serving heat. These will continue to keep properly in the fridge up to 4 times and can be reheated.
6. Slice and garnish as wanted for serving.